Pronounced keen-wah, quinoa is called a grain, but it is really a seed. It is in the same family as beets and spinach, however. No matter what people choose to call it or the category or family that it is in, what can never change is the plethora of benefits that people who consume it in their diet on a regular basis enjoy. When you ask what is quinoa, know that the answer is incredible and that you’ve found a food that is easy to eat and that improves your health significantly.
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa is loaded with vitamins and minerals that our bodies need to stay healthy. Even a small serving of the superfood can make a great impact on your health. Among the nutrients found inside the seed are:
· Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6, B9
· Vitamin E
· Omega-3 fatty acid
· Oleic acid
· Soluble fiber
· Insoluble fiber
What are the Benefits of Quinoa?
All of these nutrients improve your health in so many ways. Plus, if you follow a gluten-free diet, you can indulge in quinoa as often as you’d like without worry. Some of the biggest health benefits offered to people that regularly consume quinoa include:
· Lowers Cholesterol: High cholesterol has many negative impacts to one’s health. It is important to eat a healthy diet to maintain the best cholesterol levels. You should also avoid bad cholesterol and the foods that contain them. Quinoa contains soluble fiber that aids in this process.
· Reduce Risk of Diabetes: Quinoa has a great way of regulating blood sugar, so it can reduce the risk of developing diabetes. It has soluble fiber that slows carbohydrate breakdown to glucose so people who are already diagnosed with diabetes may find some relief as well.
· Weight Loss: Do you want to look in the mirror and see a new you staring back? Losing weight is not easy, but when you do things the right way it becomes much easier. Adding quinoa to your diet is one of the easiest ways to shed some pounds and keep the weight off since it reduces your hunger as well as those unexpected cravings.
· Lowers Blood Pressure: It is important to maintain heart health, which includes blood pressure numbers. Quinoa is an excellent food that contains all of the right ingredients to lower the blood pressure and keep it in check.